woensdag 10 november 2010

Article 2: Spearmint Rhino 'schoolgirl' poster banned


Summary.

The lapdancing club Spearmint Rhino had started a poster campaign featuring a woman dressed as a schoolgirl to promote a ‘back to school party’. The poster promised an evening with sexy schoolgirl staff and entertainers. A few people complained to the Advertising Standard Authorities (ASA) about this campaign and said the poster "sexualised teenage girls and linked them with sexually provocative behaviour". Spearmint Rhino removed the posters, but nevertheless they believed the poster was acceptable and they obeyed the demands of the company who owned the space where the posters were displayed.  


Response.

I find it a big commotion about actually nothing. I think some people are too prudish. If the posters aren’t hanging next to a playground or primary school, but just hanging in a building intended for adults, I see no problem. Some people may have weird fetishes about schoolgirls, but that doesn’t mean they are immediately paedophiles. I think you don’t create a fascination for these schoolgirls by hanging such poster, but you invite people and bring people together who have this interest already. In my opinion there is no relation with sexually provocative behavior. And on the other site, you’d better bring pedophiles to this party with only adult staff and entertainers where they can express their feelings legally, than that they express them on children.

4 opmerkingen:

  1. I also think people overreacted a bit...at least she is dressed right?
    See you tomorrow!
    Lonneke

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Hi,
    I think you are absolutely right!
    But I would like to know what exactly is your controversial statement in this for your speakers corner, so I can prepare!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Hey,

    I think you're right as well. You barely see any skin. If this is to provacative you might as well never use posters anymore, because a regular C&A poster shows more skin and is sexier than this. I also like the part about the pedophiles being better of with peolpe there own age :)

    GL with your speaking corner, I van't be there today because I am at my other school wednesdays.
    X

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Schoolgirls wear the same outfit, right? So why aren't people worried about that?

    In this case it's an adult that dressed up like a schoolgirl. I would worry more about my young daughter having to dress up like that than seeing a similar poster with an adult on it.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen